Monday, June 1, 2009

Hipster or not?



So lately my sister and some friends have tagged me as a hipster, a phrase I actually quite hate because it boxes you in and is stereotypical. So I did some research, and I came to the conclusion that no, I am not a hipster and that yes, I am cooler than  you. 

So if you're wondering if you are one or not, here's some basic info: BTW, all of us creative types that work in ad agencies are not hipsters by definition, because we work for the man and hipsters hate that, so let's just call ourselves hipsters with salaries for all practical purposes:

So if you love the films of Wes Anderson, Todd Solondz, Gus van Sant, David Lynch, and Hayao Miyazaki, yep, according to the web, you might be hipster.

If you love the music of The Cure, David Bowie, T-Rex, The Smiths, Brian Eno, Cocteau Twins and The Velvet Underground, yep, you're a hipster.

If you know who Marcel Duchamp, Lee Miller, Helmut Newton, Eugene Atget and Otto Dix are, yeah, hipster.

If you read Roald Dahl, E.E Cummings, Andre Breton and Charles Baudelaire I am afraid you are a hipster.

If you collect vinyl, read in public and attend gallery openings , yep hipster.

And if you possess a deep sense of irony, sorry, hipster.

So sadly because I do make a living, I will have to sacrifice my hipster status. Fortunately, I think I am hipster approved, though. 

That's Right.




No comments:

Post a Comment